As gruesome as it may seem, this is an interesting scripture passage to say the least:
“And as for you, son of man, thus says the Lord God, ‘Speak to every sort of bird and to every beast of the field:
“Assemble yourselves and come;
Gather together from all sides to My sacrificial meal
Which I am sacrificing for you,
A great sacrificial meal on the mountains of Israel,
That you may eat flesh and drink blood.
You shall eat the flesh of the mighty,
Drink the blood of the princes of the earth,
Of rams and lambs,
Of goats and bulls,
All of them fatlings of Bashan.
You shall eat fat till you are full,
And drink blood till you are drunk,
At My sacrificial meal
Which I am sacrificing for you.
You shall be filled at My table
With horses and riders,
With mighty men
And with all the men of war,” says the Lord God. Ezekiel 39:17-20
This is God’s painting of the outcome of those who assemble themselves against Israel—something yet to come.
If you read all of Ezekiel chapters 38-39, you’ll see a list of nations locking themselves together against little, unprotected Israel. Some of the nations are identifiable by their names, and the ones that aren’t have been traced by ethnologists using the Table of Nations presented in Genesis 10 to their modern day recognition.
Those nations break out like this:
|Ancient Name||Present name|
|Tubal||Tobolsk (Ural section of Russia)|
|Togarmah||Turkey (part near Syria)|
|Gomer||Turkey (Eastern part near the Ukraine)|
|Ethiopia (Cush)||Ethiopia, Sudan|
|Sheba and Dedan||Saudi Arabia|
As we read Ezekiel, we see Israel described as unprotected and happy about it. In this scenario Israel is enjoying such peace as never before experienced and to such an extent they literally let their guard down. A lot has to happen between now and then before anything like that could possibly take place.
Syria is in the forefront of Israel’s worries, and Russia is contributing to that.
- Israel warns Russia against giving Syria missiles
- U.S.: We Support Israel's Ability to Defend Itself
- '4,000 well-armed, prepared to die' Hezbollah fighters in Syria
- Netanyahu Orders Personal Protection Kits for All Israelis
- Netanyahu Tells Putin: We'll Destroy S-300s
- Russia Not to Tolerate Further Israeli Attacks on Damascus
Israel will only experience peace when Syria is dealt with and the Bible seems to describe just that in Isaiah 17 and Jeremiah 49:23-27. These scriptures will need to come to pass before Ezekiel 38-39 can be fulfilled.
With the regime change in Egypt under the Muslim Brotherhood’s control, a renewed concern rests on Israel’s shoulders.
- Morsi Aide: Israel Will Cease to Exist Within Decade
- Egypt to Pursue a Relationship with Hizbullah
- US Will Send US F-16 Fighter Jets to Egypt on Israel's Election-Day
- President's backers, rivals clash in Egypt
- UN very concerned about human rights in Egypt after Mursi decree
- Opposition groups in Egypt call for mass protests against President Mursi
Isaiah 19 describes a war that puts Egypt in its place and lifts that burden from Israel. Both Syria and Egypt are not mentioned in the band of nations that attack Israel in the Ezekiel chapters. Neither are the Palestinians whose demands for statehood have been a thorn in the side of Israel and the whole world for decades. Perhaps Psalm 83 describes the thorn’s removal.
These three wars or interventions leave Israel in a state of peace never experienced. They take down their walls, remove their gas masks, and bury their bomb shelters. Then, in a season of desperation, an Arab coalition of nations forms charging Russia to lead them on a surprise attack against Israel.
They might be after Israel’s new natural resources:
- Gas discoveries give Israel new regional clout
- Drilling partners raise estimates at Leviathan gas field
- Israel Taps an Offshore Natural Gas Field
- Oil Drilling to Begin Off Herzliya Coast Israel
- 250 b. barrels of shale discovery a 'game-changer'
- New Natural Gas Wealth Means Historic Change for Israel
- Size of Leviathan gas field puts Israel as exporter
- Israel the new petro state?
- New layer of gas discovered at Tamar field off coast of Haifa
- Israel’s Coast May Be Gold Mine of Oil, Says Government Expert
Or, as the scripture might suggest stating that hooks are placed in the jaws of Russia to compel them to organize the attack, they might be hungry and thirsty—literally:
- Israel Leads World In Vegetable Farming Advancement
- Genetically Modified Plants To Resist Intense Drought
- The Israeli cow is the best in the world
- Turning gray water green
- Israeli cows outperform their foreign counterparts
- Spreading Israel's agricultural miracle
- Israel Farmers to Grow "Tree Tomatoes"
- Watering a thirsty planet
- Multiplying fish to feed the multitudes
Although the group of nations attacking Israel will have their own justifiable reason to do so, it’s part of God’s plan to restore Israel to the God who loves them. I believe this attack will take place during the tribulation period, probably during the first half, but after the church is gone. God turns His attention to Israel to get their attention. An impossible situation will face Israel. Israel will confront eminent destruction totally unprepared, totally naked—just the way God wants them so He can prove to them He is Almighty God. Hosea 14 shows Israel turning back to Him.
So I will make My holy name known in the midst of My people Israel, and I will not let them profane My holy name anymore. Then the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel. Surely it is coming, and it shall be done,” says the Lord God. “This is the day of which I have spoken. Ezekiel 39:7-8
Then God calls the birds, “Assemble yourselves and come; gather together from all sides to My sacrificial meal.” Gruesome, but effective as this recent article shows:
Think about that the next time you look at a bird.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are snippy, offensive, or off-topic. For more, read Prophecy Dude’s Comments Policy