It seems as if a day rarely passes where we find at least one news article from somewhere in the world about a new sinkhole. Some are swallowing cars, houses, and large buildings…and people. Is this media hype or is something going on? This NBC News piece asks the same question, US Suddenly Looks Like a Sinkhole Nation.
Most people never considered the word ‘sinkhole’ as part of their vocabulary until a man and his bedroom were swallowed up by one earlier this year. Then everyone started talking about the horrific event, and then we started hearing about sinkholes happening all over the place.
- Samara Almost Regularly Seeing Vehicles Being Swallowed By Earth
- Monster sinkhole shuts down US Highway in Ohio
- Sinkhole growing near Mexican Village restaurant in Detroit
- Giant sink hole appears in front of mall
- Sinkhole swallows two cars in parking lot near Montreal airport
- Another Giant Sinkhole Appears in China, Swallows One Person
- Sinkhole Tragedy Reported in Shenzhen, China
- Florida families evacuated amid sinkhole scare miles from where man was swallowed
- mall sinkholes around southwest San Antonio home a mystery
- Neighbor Alerts VDOT about Potential Sinkhole
- State names sinkhole study group as tremors recur
- Springtown Arkansas Sinkhole Pops Up
- Apparent sink hole grows larger
- 9-acre king of all sinkholes threatens to swallow a whole neighborhood
- Sinkhole swallows California pond overnight
- Two sinkholes form in Leavenworth neighborhood
- 7 terrifying sinkhole disasters
- Sinkhole closes DC's Adams Morgan street
- Sinkhole forces congregation out of church
- Fairway sinkhole swallows golfer at Waterloo course
- Sinkhole swallows creek
- Why Are Giant Sinkholes Appearing All Over America? Is Something Happening To The Earth’s Crust?
- Florida man swallowed by sinkhole feared dead
Is that enough? I’m not a geologist, so I don’t know from a scientific position whether this plethora of ground openings is normal. Some experts explain the mystery of these events as weakening limestone domes, especially in Florida where sinkholes are relatively common. This article explains sinkholes a little better than I’m able to explain:
I’m also reminded of a notorious sinkhole in the Bible. There is the story of Korah who rebelled against the leadership and authority of Moses. The earth opened up and swallowed him, his family, all those who joined with him along with everything they owned. There wasn’t even a shoestring left of them to prove they existed.
Now it came to pass, as he finished speaking all these words, that the ground split apart under them, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, with their households and all the men with Korah, with all their goods. So they and all those with them went down alive into the pit; the earth closed over them, and they perished from among the assembly. Then all Israel who were around them fled at their cry, for they said, “Lest the earth swallow us up also!” Numbers 16:31-34
This particular incident became a sign to all the remaining Hebrews that God meant business. Whether sinkholes are increasing or not, the fact is, the earth, and all creation, is groaning as the last of the end times approaches.
For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. Romans 8:19-22
Earthquakes certainly seem to be increasing if not in number, definitely in intensity like a woman does when in labor. It doesn’t take a geologist or any kind of scientist to tell us that something serious is going on with the earth. This news article supports what we believe:
Do you think sinkholes are increasing? Are there any other possible Bible references to sinkholes?
Related blog posts:
- But as the days of Noah were…
- What is the sign of His coming?
- The Earth Trembles
- Earth is talking loudly and saying the end is coming
We reserve the right to delete comments that are snippy, offensive, or off-topic. For more, read Prophecy Dude’s Comments Policy